Inspirational Sunday: Meditation for Sugar Avoidance
6 months ago I posted my thoughts on a book I had read and typed out half of one of the meditations in the book. I want to finish what I started and give you the rest of the meditation. This part is a little hard to handle…fair warning. But it may be just what you need to complete the mission of erasing bad habits from your subconscious. Remember, this is to be done lying down in a restful state. Or, if you are an experienced meditator, do what you prefer. I recorded this on my phone in a calm and clear voice and play it sometimes when I need a hit! To read part 1, click here.
Meditation: Sugar Avoidance (part 2)
- You are going to see yourself seated at a large table covered with cakes, cookies, gallons of ice-cream, candy, and even bowls of pure, granulated sugar. The table is piled high with sweets and people are watching as you become increasingly embarrassed by your indulgence in sugar.
- You are seeing people who are important to you watching you stuff your mouth with all the poisonous sugar food.
- Your family, your friends, your colleagues watch you as you poison your body with sugar and you are becoming embarrassed.
- That’s right, you are literally becoming embarrassed as you stuff yourself with sugar.
- You literally see yourself becoming fatter and fatter.
- You see your clothing becoming tighter and tighter as you get fatter and fatter. The buttons on your shirt are popping off. The seams of your slacks are splitting.
- You are imagining pure, granulated sugar in your mouth.
- It is almost repulsive and nauseating because you can hardly swallow.
- As you hold this picture in your mind, think: For my body, sugar is poisonous; I need my body to live; I owe my body this respect and protection.
- Anytime you are confronted with a decision to eat refined sugar, you will bring up that image of yourself stuffing your body with sugar, and you will repeat: For my body, sugar is poisonous; I need my body to live; I owe my body this respect and protection.
- This will block almost any desire for sugar.
- Imagine holding the remote control for your television. Press the “off” button and that negative image of yourself is gone.
- Return now to the confident, excited, strong image, having no desire for sugar and feeling so good about yourself.
- Just notice how much better that image of yourself feels.
- That’s right, you are feeling confident that you can control your craving for sugar.
- It will become easier and easier to limit refined sugar because you want to live to see your children and grandchildren grow into healthy adults. You want to experience life to the fullest.
- You know there will be no situations in which you would allow yourself to overindulge in sugar.
- You know that this desire for sugar reflects a malfunction in your brain and not a real need to put sugar into your stomach. That’s right, you are gradually changing the nature of your brain. Any urges for sugar are going to grow steadily and markedly less.
- You are feeling very good about yourself and you feel certain that you have the strength to avoid refined sugar when you choose. Your mind is gradually changing your brain so that you will no longer crave sugar.
- Just allow yourself for a moment to imagine what sugar, that poisonous lethal habit, does to your body.
- That image is going to help you to cope totally with any desire to eat sweets.
- There would be no situation in which you would allow yourself to overindulge in sweets.
- Visualize your head held high, your shoulders are thrown back and you are feeling so good about your growing strength to avoid sugar.
- Becoming stronger and stronger and having almost no desire for sugar.
- You really enjoy that image of strength and confidence. You will take that image of strength and confidence wherever you go.